1 1/2 lb. ground lamb (675 g)
1 tsp cayenne pepper (5 ml)
1 tsp ground cumin (5 ml)
1 x small white onion grated
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (45 ml)
1 x egg lightly beaten
1 tsp celery salt (5 ml)
1 tsp lemon pepper (5 ml)
4 x pita breads or Mini Hamburger buns
1 cup baby spinach greens (250 ml)
1 container Cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup sliced red onion (125 ml)
Mint Tzatziki sauce (recipe follows)
Vegetable oil for grill
Mint Tzatziki Sauce
2 cups plain whole yoghurt (500 ml)
2 tbsp olive oil (30 ml)
Juice of one lemon
Half an English seedless cucumber peeled grated and squeezed dry
1/4 cup chopped white onion (60 ml)
1 tbsp chopped garlic (15 ml)
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint (125 ml)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup of Quinoa well rinsed and drained
1 ¼ c of water
1 red onion, diced
2 peppers (mixed colors), chopped
1 English cucumber, chopped
2 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
½ c crumbled sheep feta
3 Tbsp Extra –Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 tsp dry mustard
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp basil, chopped
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Preheat BBQ to 400º Fahrenheit (185º Celsius).
- In a medium mixing bowl mix all ingredients and combine thoroughly. Form into 4 patties, the patties should be 5cm think (2 inches).
- Oil grill and place patties over flame. Cook burgers 5 minutes per side keeping the lid closed so heat will not escape.
- Warm pita bread on grill for 1 minute. Place lamb burger in pita pocket with spinach, tomato, red onion and drizzle generously with Tzatziki sauce.
For Mint Tzatziki Sauce:
- Blend yoghurt in a bowl with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add cucumber, onions, garlic, mint, salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for no more than one hour.
- Serve with lamb burgers or grilled meats.
For Quinoa Salad:
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10-15 minutes or until the white germ separates from the seed. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove lid, let cool and fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers. Stir in cooled Quinoa.
- Prepare the vinaigrette: in a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, dried mustard, and the balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with Sheep feta and garnish with Chopped basil.