3 tablespoons oil
2 sliced onions
4 sliced carrots
2 stalks of chopped celery
900g/2lbs cubed middle neck of lamb
seasoned flour to coat
1 large sliced aubergine weighing about 225g/8oz
450ml/.75 pint stock
100g/4oz dried haricot beans (soaked overnight in cold water)
1 tablespoon tomato puree
salt & freshly ground black pepper
chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and sauté the onion, carrot and celery for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Coat the lamb in seasoned flour and add to the pan juices. Quickly fry until well browned.
- Return the vegetables to the casserole. Add the aubergine, pour over the stock and mix in the drained beans. Stir in the tomato puree and season to taste.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2.5 hours until the meat and beans are tender.
- Allow to cool, skim away any surface fat then reheat for 15-20 minutes.
Serve garnished with chopped parsley and accompany with a crisp salad and jacket potatoes.