1.25kg/2.5lb boned lean leg of lamb (boned weight)
350g/12oz button onions
3 tablespoons oil
50g/2oz butter or margarine
225g/8oz button mushrooms
250ml/8fl oz dry red wine
300 ml/.5 pint brown stock
.5 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon water
fried bread croutons.
- Cut the meat into bite sized pieces.
- Blanch the peeled onions in boiling water for 2 minutes then drain.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan. Add the butter or margarine and, when foaming, add the meat and brown quickly on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add the onions to the pan and brown evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Finally fry the mushrooms in the pan juices. Return the lamb and onions to the pan. Stir in the wine, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil then transfer to a flameproof casserole.
- Cover and cook in a moderate oven (160 C, 325 F, Gas Mark 3) for about 1.5 hours or until the meat is cooked. Remove the casserole from the oven.
- Dissolve the arrowroot in the water, add slowly to the casserole and cook for a further 5 minutes over a gentle heat until the stock is clear and thickened. Adjust the seasoning and serve garnished with chopped parsley and fried bread croutons.